On Wednesday 01 November 2000 03:01 pm, Larry Marshall wrote:
> >      I had some occaisional problems burning with Linux and W98
> > till I swapped the CD-RW and CDrom on the second ide, making the
> > burner the slave.  Only thing I can think of to rationalize this
> > 'fix' is that as slave, the CD-RW is on the ide cable at a
> > shorter length from the motherboard.
>
> I always thought this was given as "standard practice" and the
> explanations I've heard had more to do with throughput - i.e.
> reading from one channel and out the other rather than reading and
> writing on the same channel.  I've certainly found the same thing
> you have even though my cables are both the same length.
>
> Cheers --- Larry

    By 'shorter on the cable' I meant:
   motherboard ide2-------------slave--------master
..                               cd-rw        cdrom
My ide1 and ide2 cables are also the same length.  Windoze is
master, Mandrake is the slave on ide1.
    It's my standard practice to put CD devices on the second ide
and harddrives together on the first ide.  'Course you'll find all
kinds of opinions, even from the gurus on the hardware sites that
vary widely, and are often contradicting.  Most posts to the cdr
newsgroup advocate making the cd-rw master, the cdrom slave. I found
the opposite works better for me after tryin both ways. With the
cd-rw as slave, I have yet to find a CD player that won't play audio
CD's I burn from mp3's :)
--
Tom Brinkman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Galveston Bay