In a message dated 11/09/2000 11:03:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Sorry for not providing all key information.  When I bought the computer, we
swapped the SCSI hard-drive that was in the computer for a larger IDE drive.
LINUX boots from the IDE hard-drive.  The CDROM drive is also IDE.  There is
nothing booting from the SCSI card, therefore the BIOS on the card does not
turn on when the computer boots.  I have been told that the BIOS on the SCSI
card does not need to be on for the card to work with an external device such
as a scanner or external CDROM drive.

I was aware that AIC-7xxx was the correct drive for the 2940U card, but I am
not sure how to change the settings for scsi0 from AIC-7881U to AIC-7xxx.  Is
it simply a function of editing a file and change one or two lines?  Can I do
it with a text editor such as PICO?

Again, my apology for the lack of complete information.  Being a true NEWBIE
to LINUX, I appreciate the help of people that truly understand the system.

Bill Lott

On Thu, 09 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> When I installed 7.2 on my computer, it recognized the SCSI card as an
> Adaptec AIC-7881U.

The correct Adaptec 2940u scsi card driver is "aic-7xxx"

When the computer boots, it sees and Adaptec 2940U and
> since there is no boot device the bios does not turn on.

What do you mean "the bios does not turn on"?  Are you talking about the
scsi
bios?  You should see that with the adaptec message "press cntrl A to
configure".  Then your scsi harddrive and your scsi CD (if you have one)
should
be shown.   If you don't get a bios message from the scsi card, then the
card
may be screwed up.  If it isn't finding the boot device check your drive
cables, and if they appear to be o.k., on reboot do press "control a" and
run
the Adaptec scandisk on your drive to see if its working.  If your drive was
working before, then it can't be the scsi device address--you didn't change
it
did you?  My guess is your error is "No Boot Media Found" -- the scsi bios
doesn't see a hard drive on the cable.   Also check your system bios to see
if
the boot order has SCSI in it.  If it doesn't, change it so that SCSI is
there
somewhere--"A,C, SCSI" or something like that.  Whoa, did you enable booting
from the CD Rom in the bios when you did the install?  If so, check the
system
bios first.

 On openning the  > computer, I am fairly certain that I have only
one SCSI card and it is the  > 2940U.  Is there a way without reinstalling
7.2,
to tell Linux that the card  > is a 2940U instead of a AIC-7881U.  I want to
run an HP 5P scanner off the  > SCSI card.  At present SANE or xscanimage
cannot find the scanner even though  > it is plug into the 2940 card.  The
scanner worked perfectly with an old  > computer and Windows 95.

> If I can get Linux to recognize the correct SCSI card, then I will ask my
> next question about simple directions to get SANE working with an HP 5P
> scanner.
>
> William Lott

William Lott
PO Box 1063