Similar troubles, here, but I have many more.  In general, it seems running
Windoze and a reboot causes all changes to be lost, and boot errors on the
ethernet card.

I suspect I don't know where to make the changes properly to cause them to
work after a reboot.  I was doing all sorts of commands by hand to try to
get things to run.  I bet you did too.  If I knew what the correct ones all
were, and their correct sequence, I still wouldn't know where to put them in
a startup type script, or what startup type script to put them in.  Once
upon a time, I worked on an SCO Unix box that I had to modify an init.d file
in /etc if I recall correctly (was 10 yrs ago).

I also suspect that the ISP sees the machine differently even though the MAC
address is the same, and maybe doesn't like the change, thus causing the
"Failed" crap on boot.  Maybe powering off the Cable Modem for a few minutes
before the reboot into Linux would help.  I'm so discouraged at this point,
I haven't booted the Linux in a week, pondering what to try next.

FYI, don't bother trying a Broadband router (instead of a Linux router box)
if you plan to use IRC, as they don't provide Identd, so you can't get on
any servers.  I guess I'll keep trying to get the Linux running.  I'll be
damned if I'll go buy Wingate and suffer permanently in the land of MS.  And
I pray I needn't install a Backoffice server to solve this, either.  It
would be disheartening to have to do so.

good luck,

BobC