JStalker wrote:

> > I just downloaded mandrake 7.2 and it says i can install
it
> without partitioning my HD.. well ummm can i intsall
> outside of windows.. like how u normally install linux?? or
> do i have to do it in wndows

JStalker....no, it is better to install it outside of windows
which requires re-partitioning and possibly re-sizing of the
current windows partition.  To allow for a viable useful
Linux system you need to recover from windows a minimum of 2
gigs and windows should be left with at least (depends on how
much extra stuff is ialready installed in windows) 2 gigs as
well.

MandrakeSoft makes available for download, the documentation
that comes with the retail boxed sets here:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fdoc.php3

Below is an important excerpt from the install guide, but
it'd be better if you'd download and read it all before
beginning your installation.
--
Alan

----excerpt below-----

Chapter 3. WARNING - README

This manual covers the installation in Automated mode, either
using Lnx4Win or a classical install. In
case you decide for a classical install and have never
installed Linux before, DrakX will have to
resize your Windows partition. This operation can be harmful
to your data, therefore you MUST
ensure of the following before proceeding:

     you must have previously run scandisk on your Windows
partition; the resizing program can
     detect some obvious errors, but scandisk is more suited
for this task;

     for maximum security, you should also run defrag on your
partition, which reduces further the
     risk of failure; this is not compulsory but is highly
recommended, and will make resizing much
     faster and easier;

     the ultimate insurance against problems: back up your
data!

If neither scandisk nor defrag are installed within Windows,
please refer to the Windows
documentation for installing them.