Someone mentioned to me that unknown hard disk activity could be due to
locate building it's index? Could this be it? Can anyone clarify?

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 17 November 2000 19:06
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Bizarre cron job--or what?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Dave Pa McClamrock wrote:

>Hi Paul,
>I haven't been doing much to make my hard drive work harder lately--mostly
>trying to keep up with e-mail and other writing!  Did the bizarre behavior
stop
>happening at inopportune times on your machine when you upgraded to 7.2?
>
>When you say "Linux starts rearranging things on its own," do you mean the
>kernel does this on its own, or some daemon does it, or what?  Is there a
way
>to control what gets rearranged and when--I mean, a way that an old
non-geek
>like me can kind of understand?

Hi Dave,

I am running 7.2 since almost a week now, but I am not at the computer a
lot. Perhaps it rattles from 8am until 6pm (when I am not here), but I
have not heard anything strange at other times. But then, the hard working
disk etc. did not happen very often, perhaps once a month.

And I don't know what controls the work, and if this thing can be
controlled...

Paul

--
We are Microsoft of Borg.