I would first look if XF86Setup is installed on your box, run the command:
whereis XF86Setup, and if it isn't there then I'd look for it on the CD's and
install it. It is a very helpful tool for people who don't want to go
directly into the files to config.
By the way; startx is a seperate program with it's own config file called
startx, the file you edit when you run xf86config or XF86Setup is the file
XF86Config.

Good luck,
ei

--