I tried to remove the -l -a, and do /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet restart. I still
get the same message as connection closed by foreign host. My host.deny
is all commented out. I am using the default inetd.conf that comes with
the installation, which has only 3 services, ftp, telnet, and pop3.

now inetd.conf has the following line for telnet.
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

Do I need to change anything from /etc/service ?

argh...

Charles