having lost my entire home directory i did a brand new install and
decided to try out lm7.2 and kde2, since the offer to test my internet
connection failed during setup the first thing i did when installion was
finished was to fire up konqueror and browse to the /dev/modem file to
check where it was linked to, when i right clicked, chose properties i
got the message 'this is a file, a directory was expected' this happens
to every file in /dev/i tried and hangs konqueror each time, what does
this message mean,
i did ls -l modem from a console in /dev and got (from memory)
'lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root' which is roughly what i expected, i think the
'l' means it's a link? i don't know if this is a konqueror problem or
some lm7.2 installation problem

any help would be appreciated

bascule