i can't say much about the printer problem, mine doesn't work either  =)

as to the sound
i think you have to use sndconfig.  i don't think there is any other way.
also make sure your window manager isn't involved.
i have seen some situations on this list where it was simply that the volume was
turnned down in KDE
and in my case, i use Enlightenment, and i had no sound until i ran esd.
so run sndconfig -- and they say you should not do it under X
and i think you have to be root.....  i don't remember now as i did mine so long ago

=)
hope that helps

Adrian Smith
'de telepone dude
Telecom Dept.
x 7042
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> Jay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3:09:35 PM 11/24/00 >>>
I have two problems that need addressing.
The first one:
I have a SoundBlaster 16PCI Sound Card that I can't get configured properly,
therefore no sound.  What is the easiest and most effective way to configure it
for sound.  Please leave no path unexplored.

The second one:
I bought a HP 648C Deskjet printer and I can't get that mofo working as well!
I already tried the DrakeConf Printer setup to no avail.  What are my options
to set up my printer.  It is a hassle to type out papers and have to get up
early and go to class to print them out.  Not to mention the problems that I
have transferring the StarOffice format to .doc on occasions, i.e. text
formatting, widows and orphans, etc..

I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

I already know about sndconfig and printtool, but didn't use them yet.  Are
they more effective than other ways, or are other ways better?

--

Jay
"May the sound of happy music, And the lilt of Irish laughter, fill your heart with