While MicroShaft *did* buy a reasonably large stake in Corel, these shares
were non-voting. In other words, M$ cannot influence Corel's decisions
directly. However, it can act indirectly. For example, it could threaten to
sell all of its Corel shares at the same time, sending Corel's stock price
plummeting. This would deter investment in Corel.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
        "One World, One Web, One Programme." - Microsoft Promotional Ad.