When you are using a GIMP-Print driver, then it is a bug of GIMP-Print
(gimp-print.sourceforge.net). I have already made a new RPM package of
the fixed version 4.02, this will be available soon.

A quick fix is using an alternative driver, try

   HP LaserJet 3, Foomatic + ljet3
   HP LaserJet 3D, Foomatic + ljet3d (if you have a duplex unit)
   HP LaserJet Series, CUPS v1.1

Another thing to adjust the output is using the "Brightness" and "Gamma"
controls of CUPS ("Advanced" tab in the "Options" dialog of xpp.

   Till