By coincidence I just got mine going too on my pavilion. But I traced
the problem to a completly different place. I entered the wrong IRQ. As
far as I can tell the weird card doesn't have a normal irq. Windows uses
5 and everything works but linux needs 7. I put windows on 7 and no
sound.

Of course I have yet to hear any actual sound because the leads that
connect my pc to my sterio are put in the loft while I decorate. But
Sndconfig doesn't give an error anymore.

Mark Weaver wrote:

> Great to "hear" Rick! Glad you could get it going.
>
> --
> Mark
>
> / * Sometimes it becomes necessary to rock the boat
>   * in order to get the rats up from below decks
>   * so they can be kicked over the side and drowned!
>   *
>   *     REGISTERED LINUX USER # 182496
>   */
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<*REPLY SEPERATOR*>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 rick had this to say!
>
> > Special thanks to Mark Weaver and sSpoonman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])!
> >
> > Some history first.  I have never gotten the sound to work on my son's HP
> > Pavilion 3265.   Both the installation procecure and sounddrake failed to
> > detect the on-board audio.  A few months ago I put my son's original Win98 HD
> > back in ran the control panel system applet.  Scribbled a few notes about the
> > sound "card" and yanked it back out.  Never did much after that - just got busy
> > and then lost the paper with the info.
> >
> > Mark and I had a brief e-mail exchange relative to the "gates gets Linux"
> > thread and sound on the Pavilion came up. He felt it might have been an
> > interrupt conflict.  I figured I would check it out, maybe after Christmas.
> >
> > But after coming home tonight and checking my mail there was entry in
> > [newbie] from Spoonman with subject = "RE: [newbie] Crystal 4235."  Bingo!  The
> > nickel dropped as I was pretty sure that had been the name of the sound chip in
> > the Pavilion.
> >
> > So *made* the time to tear the system apart and put the WIn98 HD back in.  Sure
> > enough the sound system was "Crystal PnP Audio".  Hmmmm  not "4235" or some
> > other number.  But I took a flashlight and magnifying glass and checked out the
> > chips.  One was labeled "Cyrstal CX4237-X03".  Close enough for me.
> >
> > This time I took down *all* the information in the WIn98 Control System applet
> > through.  Then yanked the WIn98 drive and put back the Mandrake 7.1 HD.
> >
> > Logged on as root and ran soundrake.  It couldn't see anything bit I hit the OK
> > button and it came up and gave me a list.  Under Crystal there was 4232 and
> > 4236.  Hmmm, what the heck, 4236 is close enough to 4237.  Selected that and
> > got a dialog box.  made changes to the DMA channel.
> >
> > Hit the test button - nada.  Doh!! No speakers.  Yanked an old pair of LabTec
> > MCS-600s from the junk box and plugged them in.  Hit the test button again -
> > this time something muffled that sounded like speech.  Cranked up the volume
> > and tried again - it *was* speech albeit pretty muffled.
> >
> > Said "close enough" and hit the OK button.  Put in a CD and am listening to the
> > Bach Brandenbergs on a Synthesizer!  Ahhh... life is good.
> >
> > This has been a long post but maybe it will help someone else since my
> > technique certainly wasn't "deep."
> >
> > Cheers and thanks again Mark and Spoonman!
> >  -rick

Goldenpi- programer, unreal level creator, linux user and all round
geek.
If you are reading this, I sent this mail from linux.