I knew sooner or later I'd get a bite on this one...

No, IRQ allocation is set by the BIOS (or the OS) during boot.

While you can set WHICH irq is allocated to a group of cards, YOU CANNOT set
individual IRQ's for a particular card.

Huh? Sure I can, you say...

NO!

PCI cards are hardwired to the IRQ service levels. Normally more than once
card is wired to each line. Thus you'll have a pair of PCI slots (or in some
cases up to three) which share the SAME IRQ's.

No matter what you do with the BIOS you'll be unable to disable the sharing.

Say you have a NIC card using IRQ-10 in slot two, and a NIC card in Slot 5
which you discover also is sharing the same IRQ.

Linux doesn't like this... ok, so you go into the bios and try to set the
IRQ allocation for slot two... well guess what happens, it also changes for
slot 5!

If you are lucky you will not have a sharing issue, if not all your slots
are filled.

In the original posters machine, all his slots are full and he cannot get
around his two NICs using the same IRQ. He can move one of them to another
slot, possibly causing another sharing situation.

Under certain conditions sharing is ok, so by moving his cards around he can
fix the problem.

Though your milage may vary depending upon driving conditions...

-JMS