Civileme:

Thanks for your suggestions!  I checked in with the Mandrakeforum.com, but
the solution I found didn't solve the problem yet -- I'm still working on it.
The Epson printers I am using are different models.

I found that the Star Office bar graphs, when saved as jpegs, look great on
the screen, but print out poorly in Star Office or any other graphics
program.  Imported jpeg pictures will not print in color in Star Office.
They will print in color MOST of the time in KWord -- but not all of the time
--  sometimes they come out grey.  Colored  text prints in color just fine in
both Star Offce and KWord.  Gradient fills print fine in Star Office.

I installed the most recent version of Ghostscript from Till's files, as well
as the most recent CUPS drivers.  No change.  When I tried the CUPS
calibration tool, I could get a color chart to print in Star Office, but the
print was quite faint - even with the calibration settings at their darkest.

Given all this, it seems that the problem lies with the CUPS drivers.  They
seem to have a color threshold below which they will not print color, only
greyscale.

I will continue my research..........

Rober