At 09:40 12/10/2000 +0000, you wrote:

>Apologies for the silly question in advance, but I have found this a bit of
>a riddle. I have managed to install Mandrake 7.2 deluxe on my machine, but
>when it reboots, it does so straight into Windows 98se and not Linux. Could
>anyone tell me what I have done wrong, and what I need to do to sort this
>out. I used the recommended method and installed into an "empty" section of
>my disc -- i.e. not using space in existing windows partition, but a portion
>of my disc shown as empty. I feel that this might have something to do with
>the problem.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>John

First:  are you watching as the system boots up?  Is there a question as to
which operating system the computer should use? You may have the boot loader
defaulting to load windows in the absence of any other command.

If not, then:

Since you obviously have no files of interest on your Linux system, it would
make most sense to reinstall.  WATCH the install.  There has to be a point
where it says to make a boot disk.  Do so.  There should also be a point
where
it asks about where to install LILO (or maybe GRUB).  The boot loader should
be in the mbr if you want to dual boot.  Tell the computer so.  If you do
this
it will work.

When you reboot the computer, you will get a message similar to the following:

                LILO boot loader
                to run Windows, type windows

if you type windows, that's what you'll get.  If you type nothing, or type
linux, then that's what you'll get.

N.B. Some versions of mandrake default to windows, so the wording may be
the other
way around.  I'm not actively using Mandrake at the moment, but have done so
fairly recently.  If it defaults to windows, and you are not watching (you
have
5 seconds to answer) then that's what you'll get if you do nothing.