I had 64MB earlier this year. With this, running GNOME 1.1, I constantly had
over 50% usage of my 128MB swap. My HDD was constantly churning, and my
system was pretty slow. After my upgrade to 192MB, things were *much* faster.
I only really needed my swap when running VMware. I did not gain much more in
performance (if any) following my upgrade to 256MB (unless I was running
VMware). From this, I believe 128MB is the sweet spot for Linux with KDE or
GNOME. RAM nowadays is very cheap, so it's worth getting more. It also
reduces power consumption, heat, and wear & tear on your HDD.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
        Your mouse has moved. Windows must be rebooted to acknowledge this change.