hi carson,

On Saturday 16 December 2000  2:25 pm, you wrote:
> Hello All. I've just installed system 7.2 yesterday. I'm completely new to
> linux, and this is my first shot at it. As A long time windows user, I am
> finding myself very confused by the way linux handles application storage.
> I would like it if someone could explain a few things to me.
>
> 1) There appear to be nothing like an .exe file for linux software, where
> is the program itself? For instance, if I go into the gimp directory, I see
> all it's support files, but no executable. However, if I Alt-F2 and type in
> "gimp", it runs just fine. Where is the program stored?

an executable file in linux can be called anything, very often the name of
the executable file is the same as that of the program without any extension,
a lot (but by no means all)of program executables are stored in /bin, /sbin,
/usr/bin and other directories that are named /.../bin bin standing for
binary, i think, the reason typing gimp ran the prog is because the
executable for gimp is in a directory which is in your path, ever do dos? as
in path=?, however unlike dos most programs do not keep all their files in
the one directory but instaed you might find the executable in /usr/bin/, the
documents files in /usr/share/doc/.....appname/, perhaps some configuration
files will be /home/username/appname/, or for important progs in /etc/ or
/etc/appname/,

this is not an exclusive list and i don't pretend to really understand the
philosophy behind this system but after a while it no longer seemed strange
to me! essentialy configuration files are in one place, executables in
another, and documents in another, and of course shared library files that
more than program nneed to run are kept in another place!

> 2) This is more specific.... I downloaded the latest Mozilla milestone, and
> would like to try it under linux. However, I cannot figure out how to
> install it. There appear to be no files that "run" when clicked on, even
> though i downloaded the version "with installer". Help?

haven't installed mozilla so can't help, it's possible that you need to run
one of the files from a command line, surely there is a readme or some such
file?

> 3) System clock. Every time I reboot, my clock gets all screwed up. I reset
> it, and it's fine until I reboot again, but then it's off by a few hours.
> Ideas?

have you set your timezone? is your cmos clock set to gmt or local?

bascule