Yes, you can install with 7.2. However there are a few problems with doing
that.

First your menus get screwed up a little bit in Gnome. You have multiple
links to programs in the menus and they become pretty cluttered.

Secondly MandrakeUpdate won't work right with updates concered with Gnome
stuff. Right now MandrakeUpdate says I need to update some Gnome apps, even
though they are already updated. The problem lies with that my Gnome apps are
helix_gnome code, whereas the ones that Mandrake want's me to update with are
mdk code. It's not too big a deal, just make sure you don't try to update
something with MandrakeUpdate that is already updated via helix-update.

Finally, your login screen will get all screwy. I'm assuming this happens on
all Mandrake 7.2 systems (since it happened to me and some other guy on the
internet), but what happens is that under the window manager selection screen
the Gnome option disappears. Yes, it is pretty ironic that upgrading Gnome
will cause you not to be able to select Gnome from the login options, but
that's the way it is. The way to get around that is to put this into your
~/.Xclients-default file:

exec gnome-session

Then at the login screen, select "Default" for your Window manager. That
should then get you into Gnome hopefully.

--
Anthony
http://binaryfusion.net