I think a new user should be faced with something like this:

          Xwindows Mouse Installation Wiz

Button 1                [add]           list of functions
Button 2                [remove]        list of functions
Button 3       or 1+2                   list of functions
Button 4  1+2  or a-1                   list of functions
Button 5  1+3  or a-2                   list of functions
Button 6  2+3  or a-1+2                 list of functions
Button 7  1+2+3  or doubleclick 1       list of functions
                                        list of functions
                                        list of functions
                                        etc etc etc......

He should be able to get to this by entering "xmouse" at
a command prompt. This is mouse0. Mouse1 should be also
configurable, bearing in mind that you can't have two
*separate* ps2 mice, tho I understand that you can hook up
2 and use them. The buttons would share. They're just
switches, after all. (So is a computer :-))
Some of the functions need dialogs for pressure, axis, etc.
We don't have this because W$ users have bad habits, and they
continue to have a bad influence.