I got Gnome to work OK. It must be a problem with KDE 2.0.1. Exceed seems to
behave strangely also. I will investigate this but at least I have something
working. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Fireman71
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 3:57 PM
To: NewbieLinux-Mandrake Com
Subject: RE: [newbie] Exporting X

Tagbo,

There is a directory in your user dir named ".vnc" without the quotes. In
that directory is a file called "xstartup". Go into that file with your
favorite editor and comment out everything in it by placing a "#" at the
beginning of each line. Or you can delete every line except for the first
one (#!/bin/sh).

Once you have done that add a new line at the bottom of the file. For me
since i use the KDE desktop mine line reads "exec startkde". For gnome on a
basic stock instal the line should be "exec startgnome". If you  use
something else or have modified your installation you may have to go look
for the startup program that starts the window manager you want to use but
in a nut shell it should follow a format of "exec
/dir/where/windows/manager/is/windows_manager_program_name".

Note, none of these will work if you remove the first line from "xstartup"
(#!/bin/sh).

any real slowness problems unless i start to use some really graphic
intensive programs such as most of the games. Then things get bogged down.
For using it in day to day operation for managing my linux box as a
file/print server and internet masq'er i never really notice any slowness.
And anyways, i can deal with some slowness from time to time since i didnt
have to pay anything for it. :)

Ian K. Harrell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]