Perhaps X should not hard code seven buttons, but rather have a section in
the config file specifying the number of buttons that you have (i.e. you can
change it to what you like). In a following section, the functions of the
buttons may be specified, or the user may choose to leave that to the window
manager. That way you could do something like plug in a USB joystick (one of
those complex ones with millions of buttons) and use that as a pointing
device. It could be useful for disabled people who find it easier to point a
joystick than a mouse.