Hi! I read the thread on Alsa and AC97 with interest. I also have one
of the Athlon systems with the Via 82C686A sound chipsets. As I
understand it, this chip is not supported by the OSS drivers
installed as part of Mandrake 7.2 but it is supported by the Alsa
drivers. Based on the advice from the thread I was able to remove the
existing sound modules and modprobe the appropriate Alsa modules
unfortunately I have some device problems. The Alsa Player will play
wav sounds now but none of the other sound programs such as Xmms will
work. None of the graphical mixers will work either.

I am not that far into a fresh install so I am willing to go either
way. I need to figure out how to get a fresh Mandrake 7.2
installation to install the Alsa drivers appropriately to begin with,
or I need to figure out how to move ahead and get the rest of the
devices using the Alsa driver and devices. Is there someone out there
who would be willing to point me in the right direction to do one or
the other of these tasks? Thanks.

Traci

--
Traci Collins, MA, CCAI, CCNA