> I am trying to install Mandrake 7.2 in a Pentium III 500 with a Vortex
> 1 sound card and a NVdia RIVA 128Z video card.
> The first problem, the sound, has finally been solved. Using the au88xx-
> 1.1.1 driver now it is running.
> The video card runs, but there are some problems with the acceleration.
> Mandrake have installed the XFree86 3, the installer option to have
> acceleration was this, because it seems that Xfree 4 has not this card
> with 3D support. In fact Chromium is running, but others programs that
> use acceleration show problems. In tuxkart the screen is blue when
> playing. Tuxracer goes well, but the penguin is absolutely white and
> the colors of the landscape are not OK. Quake 3 starts, but after the
> initial screen it crashes.
> In the Nvidia web page there are some drivers, but it seems that they
> are only for XFree 4 and video cards newest that the RIVA 128Z.
>
> Does anybody experience with this video card?
> Any help will be welcome.
> Thanks for your help

Yep.

NVidia drivers you are using are those that were open-sourced.  The
closed-source ones (binary only) are supposed to be high-quality and a
one-size-fits-all.  Several links were centered around a discussion on
www.mandrakeforum.com about that very issue.  Search the archives for "NVidia
Driver NIGHTMARE" on Mandrakeforum.com and there are links in the replies
that should(tm) work.

Civileme