[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've been reading about partitioning quite a lot, but none of the
> places I've read really give any reasons for their suggestions.  I
> know you can have all of Linux in one partition, but I'd like to do it
> the best way.  From various places I've seen separate partitions for
> /, /boot, /usr, /var, and /home.
>
> How are these more useful separated out over many partitions?
> What kind of space would they typically take up?
> What is the functionallity of these partitions?
> How do I tell Linux that I've created separate partitions for /usr and
> /var for instance?
>
> Thanks,
> Jake

Hi Jake. Well, I set all this up (size/space) during my installation. I did go
with separate /boot, /usr, and /home partitions (and other people do more than
that). Why? For me, it makes it much easier to backup separate partitions, as
well as the fact that I can upgrade and tell the new upgrade NOT to touch my
/home partition so that I keep all my precious data. Even if you don't upgrade
but find that you have to reinstall your current version, it can save your data
in /home. Hope this helps. ;-)

> _____NetZero Free Internet Access and Email______
>    http://www.netzero.net/download/index.html

Heard this bunch was gonna start charging for anything over 40 hours a month?

--

                                                                       /\
                                                                   Dark><Lord