"David and Alicia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ok, here is the real question: why do people try running linux?, the
> impression i had gathered was that it was a lighter os and could be used on
> older machines, (i386 etc). I was a little dismayed when i saw the download
> size. How much disk space will a bare install need?
>
> David and Alicia
>
> Would mandrake run on a p60, 540 mb hd, ?
==============================
Don't confuse the OS with contemporary distributions that include much beyond
just the kernel or OS.  Most people today use linus with a GUI:  some just a
lightweight window manager like windowmaker, XFCE, or Blackbox.  Others like
the more heavy duty wm's like Enlightenment, or an entire environment like KDE
or Gnome.  Linux w/o a GUI will run on a true minimalist machine yeah, i386 w/
4M, I hear - but have never tried) and obviously won't need much hd space.
But with GUI (some distros include several) and apps (like office suites and
editors, and Netscrape) you'll need much more space and much more RAM.  On one
of my laptops (PII 233 w/96M of RAM and 2gig partition) I run Caldera Open
Linux 2.2 (kernel 2.2.5) and KDE 1.1.2 w/ no problems whatsoever.  And yes it
runs that faster than Windoze 98.
HTH,
Mike

"Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol
than alcohol has taken out of me."
        --Winston Churchill

http://home.netscape.com/webmail