On Wednesday 03 January 2001 03:39 pm, Paul wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, bascule wrote:
>
> You can delete it. This is generated when (usually as root) you run a
> Gnome program that crashes. Then a memory dump is generated called
> 'core'.
> Paul

     No, Bascule's not asking about core dumps, but about the core
device, which definitely shouldn't be deleted.  A plain english
explaination of /dev (and /proc) files is here.
http://www.penguinmagazine.com/Magazine/This_Issue/0015
"Unlike ordinary files, device entries are actually pointers to device
drivers in the kernel. Each entry has a "major" and "minor" number
which correspond to a particular driver. These numbers correspond to a
map of devices assigned by the kernel developers. The major number
denotes the general class of the device, while the minor number
specifies the exact device"

     Core dumps can be deleted, but they wouldn't be in either /dev or
/proc.  This line placed at the end of /etc/bashrc, 'ulimit -c 0' will
prevent core dumps from even being written.
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay