On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 09:45:25 -0500 (EST), Mark Weaver said:

> John,
>
>  These "enhancements" are what's currently going on with Cups in Mdk7.2. In
>  theory and at times in practice cups is a good thing. However, at the
>  moment for poor buggers is very confused. I see where Mandrake is going
>  with this and I applaud them for it. It's just not quite there yet. I have
>  ever confidence that they'll get there though.
>
>  If one were to "upgrade" or in any manner begin to use 7.2 I would
>  strongly suggest that if you try Cups and it doesn't work pretty much
>  out-a the box for their printer to fall back to lpr for their printing
>  needs until cups matures a little more. Unless of course one feels
>  adventurous and enjoys the thrill of the hunt. As I know many here on this
>  list do at time...myself included.
>
>  On 6 Jan 2001 John Rye spake passionately saying:
>
>  > Further to Mark's "dumb question" and the understanding that he's running 7.2,
>  >
>  > Is the output from 7.1 going to be enhanced by these upgrades?
>  > Or are they optimised or build around the 7.2 libraries?
>  >

I've got it running - and have't had any major hassles with the app
itself.
I see differences between old lpr, and the output of a number of print
apps with CUPS.

As said earlier in other posts - I'm not yet quite ready to approach
the
same pain barrier.

Cheers

--
                         Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"