goldenpi wrote:

> Should do, but they dont. heres what you do:

As with so many things! ;-)

> 1. remove all mounting for the zip drive. Everything.
> 2. now its not mounting. You must mount it manually.
> 3. just use the mount and umount commands to use the disk.
>
> thats "mount /dev/hdbx /mnt/zip", replaceing the x with either 1 or 4 depending
> on cartridge. When you done just "umount /mnt/zip" to unmount and eject the
> disk.

I'm going to print your reply out, so when/if I need it I can use it. However,
I'm not going to do it now. Why not? Well...I don't have enough contact and/or
demand from Windoze users to have to change my current setup (which works just
fine for all my Zip carts). Its too easy now, just to click on my Zip icon,
have it mount itself, and access the drive auto-magically. ;-)

> and a warning. If the disk gets stuck and the eject button fails then try
> unmounting it.

Yep, had that happen on the odd occasion. Same thing with the CD-ROM. The
following commands work nicely in this situation:

umount /dev/cdrom
eject /dev/cdrom
eject -t /dev/cdrom (just to show off, closing the tray back!) ;-)

umount /dev/zip
eject /dev/zip

Thanks for all your advice!

                                                                     /\