On Sat, 06 Jan 2001, you wrote:
> Jordan wrote:
> > I'm not having much luck with sound.
> > I installed Mandrake onto another computer (where again W98 has sound),
> > and I get the same sort of error messages - seem to point to INT and I/O
> > conflicts.

> Quite likely, you've diagnosed the problem correctly.  On many
> motherboards, the pci slots have IRQ's assigned to them.  With Windows,
> this usually isn't a problem, because Win allows IRQ sharing with most
> devices.  There are some exceptions, but generally, that is true.  Linux
> doesn't share IRQ's, so if you have a card in a slot that is assigned
> IRQ 10 and your ethernet card in another slot requires IRQ 10 and the
> slot is assigned 10 and 11 and your video card uses 11, well, you can
> see what happens.  Some motherboards simply will not allow you to change
> IRQ settings for particular slots--you're stuck.  The only solution is
Uh, one other possiblilty, I have been fighting sound from a SBLive! for two
days, well (is my face red) it turns out all I had to do was move the speaker
plug one jack over and all of a sudden I had sound. My only excuse is that
the card was purchased from OEM stock and I had no install instructions to
tell me which jack does what. Any way, try plugging into the second hole away
from the cable plugin if you have around 4 holes to plug into.
--
  Dennis M.
  Registered Linux user #180842