By drag a little, you mean........? On a modem connection it depends on
the signal thruput for lack of the right
technical term. If the line is noisey, i.e. static or poor connection,
or there is a heavy load on one of the
net servers you are connecting thru, then you will see things moving a
bit slower than under ideal conditions.
If you are running a GUI like KDE you can right click on the modem
dialog and then click details. LM 7.2 shows a
graphical representation of the connection speed and a reading showing
the kb/s of the connection. The best
I ever seem to get is 4.3 kb/s on a 56K modem, but there are times when
the net is loaded up and that can drop
to 1.2 or so. Those are for download connection speed by the way. So to
answer your question, if the system
recognizes your modem and you can connect there should be no other
drivers you should or can install.  I have
three different computers with three different modems and they all
worked pretty much out of the box. (after the
keyboard entered the right info, it had to be the keyboard, it couldn't
have been me).

--
Dennis Myers Registered Linux user #180843