> > Actually, I disappointed that the Mandrake install did not give me
> > the option to include NT in the GRUB.  Or at least some very strong
> > warnings in the setup programs or warnings in the documentation about
> > setting up dual boot systems with NT in the primary partition.
> >
> Actually, there is a lot out there about dual booting NT4.0, or Win2000
> and Linux.  Yes, I do it myself (actually, I use Linux 99% of the time,
> but NT4.0 is there if I want it).  The key to the whole thing is NOT to
> install LILO to the mbr, but choose the option to install it to the /
> (or /boot) partition and to be sure to make a boot disk.  Then, it is

I asked for the book disk during setup -- Mandrake could not produce
the disk.

> necessary to make a DOS copy of the LILO boot sector, copying this to
> the root of the C:/ drive (assuming NT is on C:), then using Notepad,
> editing the NT boot.ini file to point to that boot sect file.  It's
> easy, but if you screw up you screw up big time.  I know how you feel,
> but please don't blame Linux--the info is there if you research before
> you leap.

Sure there is plenty of information, much of it conflicting / out of
date/ not relevant to Mandrake specifics eg GRUB/ not relevant to
WinNT / NTFS. Not so easy to filter and find the exactly relevant
stuff.

I'm not blaming Linux, but I expected better of Mandrake installation
programs -- I picked up my install cd's from the front of a popular
PC mag that invites you to install and try it out.  If Mandrake wants
to be mainstream then the install procedure should not let you hurt
yourself in a fairly common type windows NT / ntfs configuration.

A simple documentation page in Mandrake about the different types of
install that are are commonly required and the d's and don'ts would
help.

Edward Stow                email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Charles Sturt University   phone 02 6933 2387
Wagga Wagga, NSW 2678      fax   02 6933 2733
Australia