On Tuesday 16 January 2001 07:11 pm, Michael Leone wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2001 10:25:03 -0600, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >    You're not being rude at all, it's those that post in anything
> > but ASCII plain text that are being rude, and/or clueless,
> > arrogant.  The 'Welcome' email that everyone is sent when they join
> > this, or most any other email list, requires posting in plain text
> > only.

> Requests. Not Requires.

   Well we could argue the semantics between arrogance and confidence
too, couldn't we ??

   Look, nobody likes being the internet police. For one it's futile.
Posting in plain text has been _required_ by netiquette since before
most people were on the net, and most of us dialed into to Un*x shell
BBS's.  The reasons are far greater than the usual 'a lot of people
can't read it/don't like it'

o  html, rtf, etc. requires at least double the bandwidth, often more.
o  it's a security hole, and a vehicle for malicious code.
o  it depends on font and video resources that are prob'ly different
   and/or not even present on the receiving system.
o  there's no fixed constant standard.  That, and for the above reason,
   almost certainly what looked great to the sender of html, looks like
   $h!+ on the receivers.  This is the very reason Web pages render
   differently on different browsers.
o  for more reasons, search the expert archive.  They're havin the same
   search and destroy HTML mission goin on right now ... and I didn't
   even start it ;>
o  for anyone curious or not convinced, do a Google on 'netiquette'
   Look for conventions and traditions
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay