On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 14:01:15 +0800, L. H. LOO said:

>   At 19-01-2001 -0500, you wrote:
>    >Question 2. My computer came with a winmodem installed but I have an
>    >external USR modem that I connected to one of the ports on the back (COMM1).
>    >The problem is that ML7.2 does not know there is a modem connected (checked
>    >Hardrake and there is nothing  there, no modem is seen). How do I make sure
>    >the ML knows  there is a modem attached?
>
>    Suggest take out the winmodem,  in Windows configure the external USR on
>    COM1 (not COMM1); reboot into your Linux, link /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS0 -
>    that is Big S and zero. If you have kppp in your Linux Box, use it to
>    connect to your ISP. HTH, if you need further info mail me off the list.

 Just a couple of small but possibly very important notes to this thread.

 If you have a Winmodem AND an External, I would only use the external.
 That way you you recover an IRQ line for both opsys(s)(ii) [ what IS the
 plural <grin>]

 IF you are using a PS/2 mouse, be aware that it may also get assigned
 to /dev/ttyS0 (Com1:), this WILL result in an IRQ conflict.

 I would suggest that in Windows you set your external modem up on
 Com2: rather than Com1: for the same reason as above.

 Then in Kppp you can assign your modem to /dev/ttyS1 (= Com2:).

 Cheers

 John

--
                         Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"