On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 08:29:22 -0500, Tim Holmes said:

>   When I get a grub prompt it doesn't give me any option to log in
>    as root.  I've tried to su - root several times and I get nothing.
>    I just slap in a Winbloze98 floppy in there, and do a fdisk /mbr.
>    So how do I log in as root?

Tim, Did you make a boot disk when you installed Linux??

What options does your Grub menu give you??

I'm not familar with Grub but I'm sure there must be a 'failsafe',
'Single user' or similar option for you to try.

Seriously the Linux boot disk is the best option, using a dos boot and
then FDISK /MBR is going to destroy your boot sector in linux terms and
throw you into your Windows system.

If you can get into linux via grub, you should be able to su to root from
your user account and make yourself a boot disk with the following
commandline:

" mkbootdisk `uname -r` " (without the double quotes but WITH the reverse
quotes shown around the uname option)

Give it a try ??

John

--
                         Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"