Not to pretend I'm the world's authority, but if I was
to hazard a guess, you don't have the card you think
you have on eth0.

I'd suggest figuring out exactly what cards you have,
on what irq's and i/o addresses, and what driver's
they should be using.  Once known, you could do insmod
to get the other card going.  You can run dmesg | more
or use ifconfig to find out what it thinks, now.

Have you got plug & play on in the bios?  Maybe it
changed things if you do.

I'd also suggest, that if you want any useful help
here, that if you included the above info, it would be
a lot easier for a knowledgeable person to help.

BobC