Its been a while since I have re-installed 7.2, but I will be doing it
soon, and I've installed about 5 or 6 times. I have always been prompted
with what type of install do you want to do, and select Expert, and then
workstation. I then set up my partitions, select what partitions are to be
formatted or not, select all my packages, and then its off to the races.
When all is done, then comes printer, network, etc setup. I can't remember
about the /tmp wipe prompt, but I know its there. This is all from the 7.2
ISO images I downloaded from the Mandrake site.  Yes, it uses DiskDrake,
but then what else would  Mandrake GUI-driven  install use ?

I'm not sure at all what you could be doing such that you don't get all the
flexibility that is available in the install. One thing I have wished for
is the ability to save my selected install packages on floppy, so that I
don't have to pick them all over again at each install.  Possibly are you
selecting to Upgrade instead of clean install ? I haven't tried the upgrade
option, but maybe that does not give the options to select packages, as it
will find out your installed base automatically.

philomena