From: Tom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 3:06 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] motherboard compatibility: asus

On Thursday 01 February 2001 08:15 am, Mark Johnson wrote:
> I checked the mandrake site for MB compatibility but couldn't find
> any information.  I was planning on getting an Asus ATX Super7 5/2
> [P5A] does anyone anticipate problems.

   no problem, Asus makes a very good board, so does Gigabyte mostly

>  I had a gigabyte board and
> linux refused to install with the CDROM I got for it.

   what cdrom?, some are almost useless, Sony comes to mind

 It installed
> fine when I tried the same CDROM on my dell PC so I just assume the
> gigabyte board was the problem....

     I'd rank anything Dell first.  Dell only uses the absolute lowest
cost, limited, often substandard, proprietary stuff they can arm-twist
thru volume buying hardware.

> Does anyone think I'll have problems with this Asus board?

   nope, other than it won't be compatible with a Dell case/power
supply.  The cure is to get rid of Dell junk as much as possible

--
Tom Brinkman             [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Galveston Bay