On Thursday 01 February 2001 05:47 pm, Romanator wrote:

> I own two Dell computers and have never had a problem. I think "junk"
> is a little extreme.

   They currently have an add on TV for a 933mhz PIII for $999.  A lot
of built in junk on a Dell motherboard.  Yes, the supplier for the
board is Intel, but Dell buys in such a large volume that they tell
Intel just how to make the board, and more importantly ... what to
downgrade, what to leave off, what to make 'Dell only' (proprietary).
Hence my NSHO, that Dell sux

   Motherboards and power supply are the foundation for any system. Cut
corners there, make it limited, substandard, and proprietary,  suck up
to M$ and PC Mag, and you can with a lot of $$'s spent on TV and
magazine adds convince the masses that your junk is the 'best'.

   That said, for the average user, ready mades like Dell, aren't that
bad. They make sure that at least their junk will work ... as shipped.
Just don't try an' change it.

    Read some hardware/overclocking sites, get some hands on, initmate
even, experience with desktop hardware, and I believe the chances are
you'll come to the opinion (which is all I've stated) is that ready
mades are junk, proprietary, limited, and substandard.

     Now there's not much sense in moanin 'bout ready made junk without
suggesting an alternative
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/01q1/010115/index.html

   I believe they're being real charitable in terming Dell's as "mass
products of more or less acceptable quality"   YMMV

--
Tom Brinkman             [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Galveston Bay