-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Fireman71
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2001 1:57 PM
To: Newbie
Subject: [newbie] Problems with 7.2 and external modem

After putting 7.2 on a machine i got from work (pentium 120, 32meg ram) i
decided to put it on my network and replace an older machine that i was
using as file/print server and firewall ip masqer.

I attached the external 3com/USR 56k Voice Faxmodem Pro Model #525 that i
had been using under 7.1 with no problems to ttyS0 on the 7.2 box and when
first booting the 7.2 it came up and detected my  modem as an external 56K
USR just like it did in 7.1 during the "checking for new hardware" phase.  I
then went to harddrake and let it do its thing.  It didn't detect the modem
at all but did find everything else.  I then used kppp  and it was able to
find the modem and connect to the Internet just fine.  Why isn't harddrake
able to find it?  In 7.1 harddrake detected this same modem perfectly with
no problem at all. What do I need to do to fix this? I cant use kppp to make
the connection since i need to be able to start it via telnet from another
machine and /sbin/ifup wont work until the modem gets configured. At least i
cant get it to work and under 7.1 it didnt work until harddrake had detected
the modem.

Thanks in advance,
Ian K. Harrell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]