Martin Cleaver wrote:
> Last week I had help installing Mandrake 7.2 to replace an
> old 6.1 set up with Samba support as Linux machine and file
> server...
>
> However, a few days later, the machine crashed, I had to
> reboot and Mandrake could not find it's etc directory... I
> assumed that the disk was messed up and reinstalled Linux,
> however this week I had to power down and when I restarted,
> I got the same symptoms, despite a proper powerdown... So I
> am beginning to assume that Lilo has not managed to find
> the right parameters to boot the machine. I tried an
> "upgrade" but that seems to keep getting stuck and does't
> get me anywhere...
>
> I had made a boot floppy this time (last time Mandrake just
> shot past the option without even letting me make one) but
> it would appear to be corrupt... (shouldn't Mandrake at
> least check :-(
>
> So anyway, what do I do?
>
> Rgds
>
> Martin

Martin....your descriptions of the assorted problems are
somewhat incomplete, but it sounds as if you have some
hardware issues with that system and mdk 7.2.  So one
solution would be to restore the box to the way it was when
it was working.

To troubleshoot the system as it is, you need a rescue floppy
like tomsrtbt.  You can download the latest version (BETA
1.7.205) from:

http://www.toms.net/rb/

This download installs into an entire Linux system on a
floppy and you can then use that floppy to boot your system
and then use the Linux console tools it contains to view and
edit your directories and files on your hard disk in your
current Linux filesystem.  In the process you will hopefully
determine what is wrong and possibly be able to correct it.
--
Alan