On Thursday 08 February 2001 11:20 am, s wrote:
> Thank you so much for your reply, and I would do that as I have seen
> it for he has posted it in several places; except for (okay, this is
> really embarrassing) that I don't seem to have a supermount.o module.
>  I remember an automount choice in the config, but apparently I
> completely missed the supermount module part *again*.  I have
> supermount for 2.2.17, but not 2.4.0 or 2.4.1.  How am I overlooking
> this?  Where should I find it in the kernel config?
> -s

     It's sort'a towards the end of the config process, under the
heading something like 'file systems'.   Maybe I haven't stressed,
_don't_ build supermount into the kernel, ie, don't choose the 'Y'
option, make it a module using the 'M' option.  If you use ReiserFS, I
believe it's better to make it a module also.

    Choosing to install supermount as a module gives the section of
'mandrake_everytime' that checks for it, a module to find.  You just
need to edit a 7.2 vintage 'mandrake_everytime' file to the new
location that the 2.4 kernels use.  Use the 'locate' command to verify
'supermount.o's existence and location first.
 eg,   $(uname -r)/kernel/fs/supermount/supermount.o
.       ^^^^^^^^^  all this bit of code means is the currently booted
kernel (don't change it).
   just to try'n be clear, I'll use my current setup as an example
'locate supermount.o'  returns,
/lib/modules/2.4.1-tom/kernel/fs/supermount/supermount.o
.            ^^^^^^^^   $(uname -r) above takes care of this part

    Also, I'd like to also stress/clarify, that if you compile a 2.4
kernel, you must edit 'mandrake_everytime' BEFORE you boot it the first
time.  If you don't, then when 'mandrake_everytime' doesn't find
'supermount.o', it overwrites 'fstab' with 'supermount -i disable', and
then supermount won't work even with a properly compiled 2.4 kernel
with a supermount module.  IOW's, the 'mandrake_everytime' file has no
code in it to re-enable supermount once it's been disabled.  You have
to manually fix it then.  I've got a feeling I'm not very good at
explain'n all this :(
--
Tom Brinkman             [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Galveston Bay