I am a total command line illiterate!

I have an Actiontec Call Waiting modem that I was able to get working once.
On re-boot and ever since I have not been able to connect.

In Windows it is on  com port 5 and linux is ttyS4.

Two of the steps in the modem installation instructions are in question.
        1. the line "chmod 666 /dev/ttySx" returns the error "don't know how".
Replacing the x with 4 solves that problem.
        2. "setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A prot 0xa000 irq 11" Is the syntax
correct in this line? The same line was used earlier with "port" instead of
"prot".

This modem is recognized as a Lucent Tech modem and Actiontec is not listed
in the configurator.

Lee