Well, this looks like a nice active list! I hope to find answers to my
many questions here.

The machine: AMD K6 333 clocked to 350 on a FIC/VIA mobo, 256MB RAM, 2 x
10GB Maxtors in drawers, 4x4 NEC CD-R, 1.44/1.2/LS120 FDD, 16MB S540 AGP
vid card pushing a 17"CTX, HP7475 plotter, Canon 5000 (useless under
Linux) and Canon BJ-200, external 56k Modem Blaster, Sound Blaster,
parallel port Backpack CD-RW, using System Commander to triple boot...on
and on.

My first question:

Running Mandrake 7.0. I found some modules on the MicroSolutions web
site for my Backpack CD-RW, BUT - - my kernel is 2.2.14-15mdk (is this
some weird Mandrake only kernel?) and all I can find that comes close is
a module for 2.2.14 or 2.2.14-5. These do not work since the modules are
compiled specifically for these kernels. Argh!! What to do? I would
really like to be able to use my burner under the penguin so as to
continue my migration to a full-time Linux system.

Pat the Rat