Ok, this is what I did to make my awe64 soundcard  work (don't ask me why, it just
did!).   hopefully I remember the proper order.
1.  sign on as "root"
2.  go to drakeconf (logo should be on screen)
3. click on linuxconf from the box that pops up
4. select the second tab "control"
5. select "control panel"
6. select "ISA Plug & Play"
7. see if your sound card is listed there...in my case I hit "accept" and it reloaded
it into the system
8.click off this box, and x off control panel, you should only have DrakeConf on your
screen.
9. look in "hardware configuration" clik on + next to sound card.  Highlight the name
of your sound card.  it should be listed there.
10. click off Drakeconf ( so you are back at the regular blue screen)
11. clik on the K in the lower left hand corner.
12. choose multimedia
13. choose sound
14. choose soundmixer, when the mixer comes up, it may be a blank box, but it will put
a little speaker on your taskbar.
15.back up to K choose terminals and Gnome terminal.
16 at the prompt type in sndconfig, and this redhat program will pop up.  you can move
the prompts with the "tab" key.
first you should hear linus speak
then clik ok
then you should hear a electric piano scale
then clik ok
There may be a slight delay between each of these prompts, as this is coming from the
very bowels of your system.
17. after this program is done. clik x off the box
in it now!
make sure that all of them are turned up at least 50%.
19. clik the box off, making sure that the little speaker stays put on the taskbar.
20. turn off the system to reboot.
toward the end of the shutdown, you may hear a brief bit of music!  you should notice
that on the shutdown list SB, and AWe-something are listed! good!
21. when the system reboots, you should see a little green speaker with sb and
awe-something pop up, and there should be a green check mark beside it  on the right,
along with the soundcard.

When the Kandulf wizard box comes up you will hear this most wonderful crecendo! (if
everything worked ok)

I can't say if this will work for you....but this did for me.  (items above may be
slightly out of order...can anybody help with that).   I did this all out of deductive
reasoning, and dumb luck....

anybody else got anything to add to this?
21. reboot the system,