From: "Linatic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2001 10:24 PM
Subject: [newbie] Fwd: Would someone help me get some sound? I promise I'll make a doc
on it.

I found two threads in the archives similar to my problem ->  I almost got
some sound to work.

The possibilities I have are VIA onboard sound which is detected in
HardDrake, YMF724, also detected, and an old ISA stock Sound Blaster 16 not
detected.

The first two are detected by hard drake, but produce no output when running
"configuration tool".  I disabled onboard sound and put in SB16.  Even tried
allocating irq5/dma1/5 as legacy.   I got the SB to produce marginal output
using sndconfig and setting SB16 up manually.  But no sound anywhere else.
(if it helps, Win2k not 98 makes SB16 work, I can set it to any irq and snd
still comes out) (I have no docs on SB16 jumpers)

Any suggestions?

I've found hints::
1. "Setting BIOS to non-PNP" already was
2. rmmod everything sound related, then run sndconfig (tried that, SB16 now
gives me errors: Device or Resource busy, insmod, failed, insmod sound-slot-0
failed)  Is this because I didn't "remove everything x-related"?  I tried
"ps-aux" then "kill" one thing, what all do I need to remove?
3.  Recompile Kernel  -this seems like awfully complicated process.. I don't
think my kernel doesn't support sound as other people with 7.2 said sound
worked after install.

I think I'm close since I heard sndconfig play .wav and midi on sb16.  How do
then make OS use it?  Is this because ALSA comes with 7.2 and doesn't have
SB16 listed in harddrake?

-linatic