On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:01:32 -0500
"Owens, Blaine C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  If anybody who is not a smartass can give me a clue as to how to
>  correct my
>  Xwindows problem then I think I can figure the rest out for myself.
>
>  The card according to Windows Device Manager is Trident
>  9685/9680/9682/9685/9382/9385-1 PCI
>  It was discovered by the Mandrake install as Trident Microsystems
>  TGUI9660
>  (generic) TGUI 9660/968x/968x

This is not your video card. It's the monitor you selected during your
install.

Establish the characteristics of your monitor (Horizondal and vertical
refresh rates etc)

Reboot and go to text mode (type 'linux 3' at the lilo prompt or select
'failsafe' from GRUB)

Log on as root and run 'Xconfigurator' and select your monitor (if it's
listed) else a monitor which matches yours.

Cheers

John

---
                         Mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"
       (The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972.)