On Thursday 01 March 2001 01:12 am, Randy Meyer wrote:
> Using LM 7.2
>
> I want to set up an icon on my user account KDE desktop that will launch
> Netscape and display the index.html file that is the entry point into
> the Mandrake Reference Manual in the /usr/share/doc/Mandrake/en
> directory. I dragged the index.html file from Konqueror to the desktop
> and selected Link and it created the link there. But I want the text
> under to icon to be something more informative than just "index.html".
> Am I to understand that operations on the "link" are the same as
> operations on the file linked to? I see that the link on my desktop has
> inherited the same permissions as the targeted file. Maybe what I should
> be doing is creating a .kdelnk file on my desktop, but I haven't gotten
> that far into the KDE stuff, nor seen in any context menu where to do
> that. I'm just trying to get my feet wet in general Linux command line
> and file system organization first. Although I love the security and
> stability of linux (everyone in my family has their own account, and is
> it true that there are only 3 linux virii and that they are harmless?),
> it's really strange at first to at least this DOS defector. Thank you
> for any enlightenment on this.
>
> Randy
>
> P.S. I am using Netscape to view the html files because for some reason
> Konqueror has decided to use a strange font in the browser and I can't
> get rid of it. But that's another battle to deal with later....

You can edit the link by right clicking on it and select properties.  In the
opened window you can edit the name directly and also change the icon by
clicking on it and selecting a new one.  Permissions do remain the same as
the file it's linked to for obvious security reasons.
The fonts can be edited with the control center/LookNFeel/Fonts menu.  If you
can't find the icon in your panel (It should be there by default) you can
type in kcontrol at a command prompt.
--
Kelley Terry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]