Derek Rayne wrote:
> I am having problems again with my Linux system.  Here is
> the basics about it...
>
> Linux Mandrake 7.0 is the version
> Pentium 133Mhz system
> 80mb of RAM
> Permedia 3000 video card (4mb)
> Sony 100SX monitor (SVGA)
> 10.2gb hard drive for Linux ONLY
> Zoltrix external 33.6kbps modem
> Zip 100 External Drive (Parallel)
> HP610CL Deskjet printer
>
> Now the problems...
>
> Xwindows will NOT install properly due to the screen always
> going blank when I select the options given to me while
> having the # prompt, I typed in Xconfigurator and a program
> comes up where I can select, but then after selecting it
> goes blank on me, with the only recourse to reboot my
> entire system.
>
> Now, I am trying to set up my system to be able to call,
> using the modem, to my internet provider (T-Three) and I
> don't know how to set this up.  I went into the # prompt,
> and typed in userconf and it came up with menu selections,
> but I don't know how to do any of this.
>
> NOTE: I do NOT have any instructions as that someone just
> gave me the CD ROMs and the install boot floppy.
>
> If anyone can help me, it would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Richard Wegner
> Linux Newbie
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Richard....first off the MandrakeSoft web page that lists
supported hardware:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3

lists two permedia video cards and neither one looks like the
one you describe:

ACCELSTAR Permedia II AGP
Permedia 2 et 2v

So it's possible that your card is not supported.  There is
an alternative if that is the problem.  A commercial xserver,
try:

http://www.xig.com/

And for your lack of documentation MandrakeSoft makes the
manuals that come in the boxed sets available for download at:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/72doc.php3
--
Alan