Anthony and all,

During installation of 7.2

1) I want to make a boot disk, but it fails:

   An error occurred, mkbootdisk failed

2) When I try to install lilo or grub, it fails:

   Installation of bootloader failed
   The following error occurred:
   Fatal: open /dev/hda: No such file or directory

3) When I test X, it fails, saying:

   (WW) xf86ReadBIOS: Failed to open /dev/mem
   (No such file or directory)

4) On occasion, lilo will load, but when I boot to
   Linux, it says, Kernel panic:

   Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

   I'm not sure what 03 is, but I have to assume 5
   refers to hda5 which is mounted at /.

But everything up to this point in the installation pretends
to work, including the installation of all the packages.

I've tried reputedly, about a dozen attempts so far.

I tried making Ext2 partitions with the Mandrake installer
and with Partition Magic 6 in Windows.

I've tried using Ext2 partitions as well as ReiserFS
partitions using the Mandrake installer.

I've tried installing from a CD-RW that I burned from the
downloaded ISO, and I've tried installing from a CD-R, even
of a different brand.

I've tried diagnosing problems with my HD with both
Partition Magic 6, and with Norton's Disk Doctor 2001, and
there aren't any problems. And Windows has no problems
accessing its own partitions, of course.

I've tried wiping the mbr so that lilo or grub get a clean
shot at installation (although not in conjunction with these
other things).

If my computer had a neck, I would choke it to death.

What is going on?!!

Miark