Back to the drwaing board Bill. Silly question, but is your parallel
port turned on in the BIOS?
Try my suggestions again, but this time just use "File", "Find Packages"
and see what comes up.
Did you find the "cups-lpd" entry in "Startup Services"?? It matters. If
it's not there, un-install all
your cups packages, and install the updated ones manually with kpackage.
Then check startup services
for that cups-lpd again. It's the only way I got all my HP printers to
work, but I had to download the latest
cups files first, and then did it. It worked instantly after that. Don't
forget about the ghostscript package.
Install it before the new cups packages. Worse case scenario, don't use
"check dependancies", since your
replacing the packages right away anyway.

--
Dan LaBine
Maximum L.A.N.'s Ltd